Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Birthday Karma

So, four months before the sweetness of my life turns three, or in her words "flee", the idea of kissing her daddy is the equivalent of sitting through a lecture expounding upon how AstroTurf can be engineered to be close to the real thing. This denial of affection is coming from a little person who aggressively hugs and kisses items she had just encountered while saying "I love it SOOOOO MUCH!" These items include, but is not limited to, stuffed toys, balloons, books, leaves, sticks, and the occasional piece of junk mail. Evin just reminded me to include the seat for the potty.

Perhaps I may be taking water conservation too seriously and should shower more. Anyway, I did not imagine this would happen so soon. Considering my upcoming birthday, I figured I could use this as a bargaining chip. My requests for birthday kisses and/or hugs were consistently met with "No daddy, you get cake."

Well it's my birthday and I really want what the random object seems to get easily. Seeing a lesson in persistence, I continued to exploit any opportunity for some affection until finally....

Mom: Kiss daddy good-bye.
Kesiah: No
Dad: How about a hug good-bye?
Kesiah: I don't want that.
Dad: Just wave good-bye then.
Kesiah: I don't want that either.
Dad: C'mon Kesiah, I just want a little hug.
Kesiah: ok
As I approach for my hug, she stops me by putting up her cute little finger.
Kesiah: On your birthday.

Now any request for a hug or kiss is met with the finger shrug off and her saying "You get a hug on your birthday." I definitely need to stop laughing at behavior I do not want to reinforce.

1 comment:

Moshe Jacobson said...

That's so sad, Noah! I would be silently crying.